LED Ticker -vs- LCD Display, which technology fits best? In many cases it isn’t a case of either/or, it is a case of how to use them together to create the right atmosphere.
What Does a LED/LCD Display Have That a LED Ticker Doesn’t?
Over the last 10 years LCD screens have become a standard fixture in retail and business. From the TV in your home, to the lobby at nearly every business you visit. When a commercial grade LCD is paired with digital signage software you can manage an entire network of screens.
LCD display advantages:
- Price – the screens themselves ship in mass quantities each month. Thus the price is continually dropping making the technology very economical.
- Full motion video – the displays feature high resolution (1080P or even 4K) and conducive to show videos, HTML content, images, and much more. The medium is very flexible and gives you a brilliant space to communicate.
- Interactive – by applying a touch overlay you can turn most commercial grade LCDs into interactive experiences.
- Static Messages – with a LCD you can hold a message on screen for a desired amount of time making it easy for viewers to read.
What are the Advantages of LED Tickers?
For over 25 years, Tickers have provided updates in sportsbooks and on trading floors. The technology has evolved to be smart and full color. While not as common as LCD Tvs, you will see this technology in retail banks, “man caves“, sports bars, and in business schools.
- Unlimited length – while LCD screens come in a 16:9 aspect ratio and come in popular sizes like 49″, 55″ or 65″ diagonal, Tickers are built to expand to an infinite length. This technology is ideal if you want to create long spans without any bezels or mullions.
- Flexible – LCD screens use glass so they are very rigid. A LED Ticker is built with a flexible chassis allowing you to curve, wrap, bend it to fit the architecture of a space.
- Brightness – the LEDs used for Tickers come in a variety of intensities. Premium grade models output over 3,000 NITs making them a viable option to place in windows to compete with ambient light.
- Customizable – for all the reasons above, this technology is a favorite for architects because they can do unique things with the technology to help make an impression for visitors.
So Who Wins the LED Ticker -vs- LCD Display Debate?
In summary both technologies have their place. The LED Ticker stands out is if you want something unique and customizable that creates an energetic atmosphere. Think of it as a “barbershop pole” that screams finance when placed in a brokerage firm or that exudes sports when wrapped around a bar.